Delightful Fruit Compote
Apple jelly lightly glazes this bright medley of fresh and frozen fruits. "Since I'm diabetic, I use either low-sugar or sugar-free jelly, then add a packet of artificial sweetener before I serve it," says Janet Doherty of Belpre, Ohio. "No one suspects the substitution."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 medium ripe peaches, sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup quartered fresh strawberries
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup seedless red or green grapes
- 3 tablespoons apple jelly
- 4 teaspoons water
- Vanilla yogurt and sliced almonds, optional
- In a bowl, combine the peaches, berries, kiwi and grapes. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the jelly and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds or until jelly is melted; stir until smooth. Drizzle over fruit. Top with yogurt and sprinkle with almonds if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 80 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Delightful Fruit Compote in Quick Cooking May/June 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.