Delightful Chicken Salad
You can serve this delightful chicken salad on bread, buns or wrapped in a tortilla. "My husband likes it on crackers as a snack or on a bed of iceberg lettuce," says Jacklyn Salgado from Omaha, Nebraska.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half (6 ounces)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Dash salt and pepper
- Assorted crackers, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, onion, celery, bouillon, garlic and pepper; add water to cover by 1 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Drain, reserving the onion, celery and garlic. Shred chicken and place in a bowl; add reserved onion mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, cilantro, onion, salt and pepper. Spoon over chicken mixture; gently stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with crackers if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 170 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1137mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Layered Combination Salad in Cooking for 2 Fall 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.