Delightful Banana Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter and 1 cup sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolks; mix well. In a small bowl, beat the bananas, sour cream, applesauce and vanilla until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the butter mixture alternately with banana mixture. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and remaining butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly; stir in water.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into batter. Fold in walnuts.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add a third of the cake batter. Drizzle with half of the chocolate mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For drizzle, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter until lightly browned. Remove from the heat; stir in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 283 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 6, 2016
As a Volunteer Field Editor, I enjoy testing recipes. I found this recipe when looking for something a little different to make with 3 ripe bananas I had to use. My cake didn't rise as high as the one in the photo appears but it tasted great. My kids don't like nuts in baked good so I subbed in some extra chocolate chips in their place. I used 1 Tbsp milk in the glaze but wish I had thinned it a bit more because it didn't "drizzle" very pretty on the cake- again tasted great though! My girls enjoyed it when they came in the door after school... It was so good that one daughter asked if she could have more in place of supper! (Of course I told her she had to have supper first :)
Sep 1, 2014
This was a very nice cake...I left the choc chips out because we like it without them.
Sep 28, 2011
I don't know where I went wrong, but it didn't turn out anything like the photo. I prepared everything ahead as usual, but by the time I got the egg whites whipped, and the chocolate melted, the cake batter had "fallen", the chocolate had cooled so much that I had to remelt it, and the egg whites fell as well. The cake ended up being no taller than 2 inches, and although it tasted good, I won't make it again.
Aug 26, 2011
Tastes very good! My brother liked this cake a lot! I used fat free sour cream and it worked great. However, this cake wasn't extremely moist like I expected. But it was moist enough. It looks spectacular!
Aug 11, 2011
This was a fun recipe with great results. Took it to work - it flew off the plate. Even the crumbs were attacked. Lots of smiles and Mmmm's from those who got there in time to have some.
Jul 9, 2011
So good! I added some almond extract to the icing... this recipe is a keeper!
Sep 19, 2010
This was DELICIOUS! I omitted the walnuts/pecans. Everyone raved about this - loved how moist it was. Couldn't even taste the applesauce. Definitely will be making this many more times!
Sep 9, 2008
This cake was delicious! I used 1 cup of blueberries instead of the chocolate and omitted the nuts....YUMMY!