Delightful Angel Food Cake
"This light, moist cake is my favorite," shares Fayrene De Koker of Auburn, Washington. "It tastes heavenly and is special enough for most any occasion."—Fayrene De Koker, Vancouver, Washington
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about12 large)
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Cake may be frozen for up to 6 months. Remove cake to a serving plate.
Originally published as Heavenly Angel Food Cake in Taste of Home Freezer Pleasers