Delicious Chicken Chili
This unique and delicious chicken chili is a much-requested meal around our house. I think you'll find it's a nice change of pace from the typical beef version.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
Makes14 serving (3-1/2 quarts)
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 to 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, saute the onions, green peppers and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add chicken; cook and stir for 4 minutes or until browned.
- Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans; cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 222 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Chicken Chili in Country Chicken Cookbook
Dec 28, 2011
Cut the recipe in half and omitted the coriander, and tomato paste simply because it was not available and it still turned out great. Added a little cornstarch to the soup to thicken it a little and voila!