Deep-Dish Plum Cobbler
This plum cobbler is as pleasing to the eye as it is to the taste buds.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 40 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds plums, pitted and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Pastry for a single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 large egg white
- Place plums in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, almond extract and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly; gently stir into plums. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Roll out pastry to 1/8-in. thickness; make a lattice crust. Place over filling. Trim edges. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Bake at 425° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 261 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Deep-Dish Plum Cobbler in Country June/July 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.