Deep-Dish Chicken Pizza
I've been making this versatile pizza recipe for my family for decades. It's the only one we make and is also wonderful meatless—with eggplant and zucchini instead of chicken. Hot roll mix makes for a delightful crust! It's a great party pizza. —Edward Smulski, Lyons, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare roll mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, peppers, onion and seasonings in remaining oil until vegetables are tender. Return chicken to the pan.
- Roll dough into a 17x12-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; build up edges slightly. Spread sauce over dough. Top with chicken mixture and cheeses.
- Wrap and freeze for up to 2 months or bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until crust and cheeses are lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- To use frozen pizza: Thaw in the refrigerator. Uncover and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 328 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat.
Oct 15, 2012
One of my absolute favorites!! It is so pretty with all the brightly colored veggies. The chicken is flavored deliciously. I could not find roll mix, so I used 2 refrigerated pizza crusts in a rectangular pan. Yum!