- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Food coloring
- Decorator's gel
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, water and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and chill for several hours.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with an egg-shaped cookie cutter (or cutters with other Easter themes such as chicks and rabbits). Make a hole with a straw or toothpick in the top of at least 27 cookies.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- For glaze, combine sugar, water and corn syrup until smooth. Depending on how many colors are desired, divide glaze into several small bowls and tint with food coloring. Using a small brush and stirring glaze often, brush glaze on cookies (or leave some plain if desired). Allow glazed cookies to harden for at least 1 hour.
- Add designs with tinted glaze or decorator's gel, referring to photo for ideas. Allow to dry. Yield: 7-8 dozen 2-1/2-in. cookies.
Reviews forDecorated Easter Cookies
"This is a great sugar cookie recipe. One I will make again."