VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Place first nine ingredients and 2-1/2 teaspoons salt in a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, mix egg and remaining salt. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls; drop gently into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables and barley are tender, 6-8 hours. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Deb's Mushroom & Barley Soup in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017