DC Cupcakes Chocolate & Buttercream “Puppy Bowl” Cupcakes
Recipe provided by Animal Planet’s friends at Georgetown Cupcakes & the stars of TLC’s show DC Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min., Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa, sifted
- VANILLA BUTTERCREAM:
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon yellow food color
- 1/2 cup green sanding sugar
- For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a standard cupcake pan with 12 baking cups, and a second pan with 6
- baking cups.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside. Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until fluffy. Stop to add the sugar; beat on medium speed until well incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition. Combine the vanilla extract and milk in a large liquid measuring cup.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add one-third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then gradually add one-third of the milk mixture, beating until well incorporated. Add another one-third of the flour mixture, followed by one-third of the milk mixture. Stop to scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining milk mixture, and beat just until combined. Add the cocoa powder, beating (on low speed) just until incorporated.
- Use a standard-size ice cream scoop to fill each cupcake paper with batter, so that the wells are two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes (start checking at 15 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the Vanilla Buttercream:
- Combine the butter, sugar, vanilla extract, milk, salt, and yellow food coloring to the bowl of a stand mixer or a
- bowl with a handheld electric mixer, and mix on high speed until light and airy, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a round metal tip. To frost your cupcakes with the DC Cupcakes “signature swirl”, start in the center of the cupcake, apply even pressure and frost the cupcake with a circular motion, ending in the center of the cupcake with a burst of pressure. Decorate each cupcake with green sanding sugar on top for a festive touch. Repeat for each cupcake, serve and enjoy!
Originally published as DC Cupcakes Chocolate & Buttercream “Puppy Bowl” Cupcakes in Animal Planet Web Advertiser
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.