Daughter’s A-to-Z Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups A to Z ingredients (choose from list below)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- A TO Z INGREDIENTS:
- Peaches, peeled and chopped
- Pears, peeled and chopped
- Pineapple (canned), crushed and drained
- Dried plums, pitted and chopped
- Pumpkin, canned
- Raspberries, fresh or frozen
- Rhubarb, chopped fresh or frozen
- Strawberries, chopped fresh or frozen
- Sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- Zucchini, shredded
- Whisk the sugar, oil, applesauce and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in A to Z ingredients of your choice and vanilla. Combine the all-purpose and whole wheat flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into liquid ingredients just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Jan 5, 2013
I followed the daughter's version of the recipe, but used 3 cups of flour (don't have whole wheat on hand). I used chopped fresh strawberries, but since I didn't have the entire 2 cups, I added extra applesauce to make up the difference. Bread was excellent. I will attempt to make a carrot cake version tomorrow.
Dec 29, 2012
This was quick and easy and tasted great I've made 4 batches with pumpkin.
Nov 17, 2012
I would like to try this recipe but with the pumpkin. Is it puree pumpkin or packed pumpkin?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.