When I was in grade school, we had a community cookbook that included these yummy bars. Use a wet knife when cutting them to easily slice through the meringue.—Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs, separated
- 1-1/4 cups chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine dates, water and orange zest; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- For crust, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Press onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Spread date mixture over top.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over date mixture; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 136 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Dates Under A Cloud in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.