When I was in grade school, we had a community cookbook that included these yummy bars. Use a wet knife when cutting them to easily slice through the meringue.—Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1-1/4 cups chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine dates, water and orange zest; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- For crust, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Press onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Spread date mixture over top.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over date mixture; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 136 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.