"These moist waffles have a yummy cream cheese topping," describes Jean Gaines of Bullhead City, Arizona.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes8-10 waffles (about 6-3/4 inches)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, pecans, baking powder and salt. Add dates. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg yolks and butter; stir into dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- In another small bowl, beat the topping ingredients until blended. Serve with waffles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 508 calories, 28g fat (16g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Date Waffles in Taste of Home December/January 1998