These delicious tidbits add a sweet element to a holiday line-up. The dates and nuts taste wonderful topped with fluffy frosting. And since the two toppings can be stored separately in the fridge, you don't have to make them all at once.
Recommended: 47 Sweet and Savory Snacks For Your TV Marathon
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 package (10 ounces) butter-flavored crackers
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or coconut extract
- In a bowl, combine the milk, dates and walnuts. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm. Spread level teaspoonfuls on each cracker. Place crackers on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Gradually add sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread over crackers. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Originally published as Date Snack Crackers in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p22