Date Pudding Cobbler
There were eight children in my family when I was a girl, and all of us enjoyed this cobbler. I now serve it for everyday and special occasions alike. —Carolyn Miller, Guys Mills, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup water
- Whipped cream and ground cinnamon, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add milk, dates and walnuts.
- In a large saucepan, combine water and remaining brown sugar; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; add the date mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 10-in. cast-iron skillet or 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown and fruit is tender. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 347 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Date Pudding Cobbler in Country Woman March/April 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.