Date Pudding Cake
Anyone who likes dates will enjoy this rich date dessert. The recipe, which came out of my mother's cookbook, is our favorite dessert for Thanksgiving, Christmas...even New Year's gatherings.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- In a bowl, cream 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon butter. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; add dates and nuts. Add flour mixture alternately with milk to creamed mixture; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine water with remaining brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes. Pour into a 9-in. round baking pan. Spoon batter on top of sauce. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 341 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Date Pudding Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook