Anyone who likes dates will enjoy this rich date dessert. The recipe, which came out of my mother's cookbook, is our favorite dessert for Thanksgiving, Christmas...even New Year's gatherings.
Recommended: 32 Recipes For Your Baking Bucket List
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- In a bowl, cream 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon butter. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; add dates and nuts. Add flour mixture alternately with milk to creamed mixture; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine water with remaining brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes. Pour into a 9-in. round baking pan. Spoon batter on top of sauce. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Date Pudding Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p76