Date Oat Bars
My mother found this recipe many years ago. I love the citrusy taste of these treats just as much today as I did back then.—Joyce Eastman, Garden Grove, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine the dates, water, brown sugar and orange zest. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 4 minutes. Cook and stir 3 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Stir in orange and lemon juices. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add oats and brown sugar; mix well. Set aside half for the topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Drop date mixture by small spoonfuls onto crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture; press down gently. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 126 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Date Shortbread in Reminisce November/December 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.