Date Nut Icebox Cookies
A dear friend shared this recipe with me many years ago. They've become a much-requested treat at my house, so it's a good thing the recipe yields a big batch!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 8 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and corn syrup. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts and dates.
- Shape into four 6-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2-1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 188 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Date Nut Icebox Cookies in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.