Date Nut Cracker Dessert
Notes Billie Moss of El Sobrante, California, "This chewy treat has a refreshing lemon topping. It's always a hit."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 60 wafers)
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a bowl, beat eggs and 1/2 cup sugar until thickened. Combine baking powder and remaining sugar; beat into egg mixture. Add crumbs, dates, nuts, orange zest and vanilla; stir well. Pour into a well-greased 10-in. pie plate or 11x7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Combine topping ingredients; let stand at room temperature until pie has cooled for 30 minutes (topping will thicken). Spread over pie. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 433 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Date Nut Cracker Dessert in Taste of Home December/January 1998