Date-Filled Baked Apple
"It's hard to say what's more appealing—the homey aroma of this treat baking in the oven or the wonderful flavor of the warm apple, sweet dates and crunchy walnuts," says field editor Dorothy Pritchett (above with husband Charlie) of Wills Point, Texas.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped dates
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped walnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large tart apple
- 1/4 cup water
- Whipped cream
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar, dates, walnuts and cinnamon. Peel top half of apple and remove core; place in a small baking dish. Fill with the date mixture. Combine water and remaining brown sugar; pour over apple.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until apple is tender, basting occasionally. Serve warm with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 7g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Date-Filled Baked Apple in Taste of Home October/November 2001