Dark Side Chocolate Caramel Tart
This is a rich, sweet and oh-so-delicious delicious after-dinner treat. The decorating can make it fun or elegant. It tastes like a turtle candy and holds well so it can be made ahead-of-time.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + cooling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture turns an amber color, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; slowly stir in cream (mixture will appear lumpy). Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is completely smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom; trim edges. Prick the bottom with a fork. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle pecans and chocolate chips into crust. Whisk eggs, one at a time, into warm caramel mixture. Pour over chocolate and pecans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips with milk; stir until smooth. Cut a small hole in the corner of a plastic bag. Fill with chocolate mixture; pipe a web over tart. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 352 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Dark Side Chocolate Caramel Tart in Halloween Party Favorites 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.