- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark baking cocoa or baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups evaporated milk
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped topping, chocolate syrup, slivered almonds and maraschino cherries
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg whites; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to individual dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, garnish with whipped topping, chocolate syrup, almonds and cherries. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forDark Chocolate Pudding Sundaes
"I bet all you people that opt for the convenience have health & weight problems. Stick to whole foods people. Stay away from processed foods. Making food from scratch doesn't take that much more time."
"This is good, only I melted dark choc. in place of cocoa. I agree about getting away from convience foods, thats where alot of our health problems come from, our bodies were not made to take all those chemicals!"
""Convenient" pudding cups are just full of chemicals and really high in sodium. I think this sounds more like real food! I am going to give it a try tonight."
"This has twice as many calories as Snack Pack. For the 2 grams of fiber, I wouldn't bother making it, just grab a cup of conveince."
"While this is not a treat I would eat, my family loves it. They will be making it many more times and keeping the recipe, which is just fine with me."
"I made this special treat for my Husband today. He enjoyed it but said it didn't taste any different or better than the instant Jello mix I usually prefer? So, unless Evaporated milk is on sale around the holidays I won't be making this again."