A colleague brought this in one day for someone’s birthday. I grow zucchini in my garden so I had a lot of opportunities to experiment with the recipe. My mother-in-law loves it, and she doesn’t even know that it’s also pretty good for you. —Sally Newton, Smethport, Pennsylvania
Featured In: Our Most-Loved Recipes for Zucchini
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat two 8x4-in. loaf pans with cooking spray; dust with flour, tapping out extra.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen sides from pans with a knife. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Dark Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p206