Dark Chocolate Cherry Brownies
“Since retirement, we’ve had to watch our calories but still like something sweet every so often. This downsized recipe helps us stay in line,” says Barbara Estabrook of Rhinelander, Wisconsin. “Sometimes I drizzle the brownies with chocolate.”
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and quartered
- 3 dark chocolate candy bars (1.45 ounces each), chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- Pat cherries dry with paper towels; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup chopped candy bars with oil; stir until smooth. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, extract, salt and melted chocolate. Add flour; mix well. Stir in cherries and remaining candy bars.
- Spread into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 260 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Dark Sweet Chocolate and Cherry Brownies in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.