Daria's Best-Ever Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/3 cup water
- Food coloring, coarse sugar and assorted sprinkles, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat almond paste and egg yolks until crumbly. Add the butter, sugar and salt; beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and mix well. Divide into four portions; shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, beat the confectioners' sugar, meringue powder and water until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Color frosting if desired. Frost cookies; decorate with coarse sugar and sprinkles if desired. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 13-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 55 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Daria's Best-Ever Sugar Cookies
"Everyone says their sugar cookies are the "Best Ever", however, this one is it for me. I've made sugar cookies every Christmas but this is the one I keep going back to. The flavor is delicate and the dough really stands up to rolling and cutting shapes - easy to work with. I get many compliments with this one!"
"We loved these sugar cookies! Turned out so good!"
"These are just awesome. The taste is something you just cant get with almond extract. Few ingedients and super easy. You do need to leave them on the pan for 2 minutes. It will help with the falling apart."
"This was the best sugar cookie recipe! I followed the recipe and they came out perfect. I rolled to 1/4" and didn't over cook so they where nice and soft with slight crunch.I received many compliments and requests for this recipe ( I referred them to the Taste of Home website). This is the recipe I will reach for when I have to make cut out cookies for the holidays."
"My only deviation was to add slightly more almond paste because the recipe said to beat paste & yolks "until crumbly" - it was liquidy and never did get to "crumbly" at that step. Chilled dough was very firm but rolled nicely and was really easy to handle (didn't stick to table & rolling pin). But the baked cookies were so fragile that just picking them up caused them to break. I never did frost them, for that reason. Delicious, but broken cookies don't make a nice presentation."
"These were so easy to put together and roll out. Perfect consistency. The taste is out-of-this-world! The best I have ever had. They are light and flaky and so DELICIOUS! I recommend everyone to try these."