Dar’s Coconut Cream Pie
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, coconut milk, cream, sugar, cornstarch and salt until blended. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 2 minutes longer, whisking vigorously. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Immediately transfer to crust.
- 4. Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate 2 hours or until cold.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
1 piece: 641 calories, 47g fat (33g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
May 17, 2018
Made this yesterday and it was a hit! People keep asking for more!
Dec 17, 2017
This was awesome. My husband does not care for coconut BUT loves this.
Dec 14, 2017
Delicious! I'm not a baker so I didn't make the pastry; I substituted a store bought crust. The coconut milk adds so much flavor to this pie!
Aug 15, 2017
Jan 28, 2017
This was my first time making a coconut cream pie, and my family loved it. It was easy to make. I did not change a thing. I will definitely make this again.
Nov 24, 2016
Delicious! The recipe didn't say sweetened or unsweetened coconut milk but I used sweetened and it was perfect. Forgot to toast the coconut before I mixed it in but was still great. I'll definitely make this again! Oops and just realized I was supposed to use 4 egg yolks and only used 3. Didn't seem to make a difference.
Aug 29, 2016
I have made this pie twice now. The family loves it, and it is a new "keeper". Just sweet enough without being overdone.
May 20, 2016
I have made this wonderfully sweet, coconutty pie twice and both times it was perfect. It is not eggy tasting, only creamy and sweet and well, coconutty! It calls for 2 cups coconut milk, and the cans I found were only 13.5 ounces, so I only used one can of coconut milk and the consistency came out fine. I will make this recipe again!
Nov 11, 2015
This is the only coconut pie recipe EVERYONE
May 26, 2015
Wow this was amazing