- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, coconut milk, cream, sugar, cornstarch and salt until blended. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 2 minutes longer, whisking vigorously. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Immediately transfer to crust.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate 2 hours or until cold.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forDar's Coconut Cream Pie
"Delicious! I'm not a baker so I didn't make the pastry; I substituted a store bought crust. The coconut milk adds so much flavor to this pie!"
"Delicious! The recipe didn't say sweetened or unsweetened coconut milk but I used sweetened and it was perfect. Forgot to toast the coconut before I mixed it in but was still great. I'll definitely make this again! Oops and just realized I was supposed to use 4 egg yolks and only used 3. Didn't seem to make a difference."
"I have made this pie twice now. The family loves it, and it is a new "keeper". Just sweet enough without being overdone."
"I have made this wonderfully sweet, coconutty pie twice and both times it was perfect. It is not eggy tasting, only creamy and sweet and well, coconutty! It calls for 2 cups coconut milk, and the cans I found were only 13.5 ounces, so I only used one can of coconut milk and the consistency came out fine. I will make this recipe again!"
"This is the only coconut pie recipe EVERYONEloves"
"Wow this was amazing"