- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Ground nutmeg
- In a soup kettle, bring ham bone and 2 quarts water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until meat pulls away from the bone.
- Remove ham bone. When cool enough to handle, trim any meat and dice. Discard bone. Return ham to kettle along with potatoes, onions, celery, parsley, cabbage and carrots; cook 40 minutes.
- Combine flour and 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Slowly pour into the soup, stirring constantly. Bring soup to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Remove from the heat. Garnish with nutmeg. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Danish Potato Soup
"I've made this soup many times before. Just add a little flour to help thicken the soup to your desire. It doesn't affect the taste."
"Really good tasting soup. Was thin but a great change from thick soups. I will make again."
"Can't click on stars. Very good. I thickened a little. lovely flavor."
"soup was good but thin"
"a little thin, but nice flavor"