Danish Christmas Cake with Orange Coconut Topping Recipe
5 1 1
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/4 cups chopped red candied cherries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the buttermilk, vanilla, orange juice and peel. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in the dates, cherries and pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For topping, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, orange juice and peel; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in coconut; cook 1 minute longer. Slowly pour over warm cake. Let stand overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Danish Christmas Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p66
Reviews forDanish Christmas Cake with Orange Coconut Topping
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review