Danish Cherry Rhubarb Dessert
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup cornflakes
- 4 to 5 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in the milk and egg yolk. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 13-in. x 9-in. x rectangle. Place one rectangle in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cornflakes.
- In a large bowl, combine rhubarb and 1-1/2 cups sugar. Stir in pie filling and vanilla; spread over cornflakes. Top with the remaining pastry. Cut slits in the top.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg white; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 328 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 14, 2014
This is a super dessert. Serve it warm with ice cream mmm... You can also use canned apple pie filling.
Sep 12, 2011
This is absolutely divine. Its delicate crust melts in your mouth and the tangy/sweet flavor of the fruit is perfect to the palate.
Jan 16, 2010
I have made this many times and simply love it! The bottom crust just lays in the bottom of the pan.
Jul 7, 2008
Question, does the bottom crust just lay in the pan or do you press it down or up the sides-like a pie. I am going to make this and wanted to be sure I do it right.