Dandy Caramel Candies Recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3-3/4 cups chopped pecans (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dark or milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- 1. Butter a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, corn syrup, butter and cream.
- 2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and vanilla. Quickly spread into prepared pan. Cool.
- 3. Cut into 1-in. squares. Place squares on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; chill thoroughly. Dip each candy into melted candy coating. Refrigerate until firm. Yield: about 9 dozen.
Editor's Note: Confectionery coating is found in the baking section of most grocery stores. It is sometimes labeled "candy coating" and is often sold in bulk packages of 1 to 1-1/2 pounds.
1 piece: 93 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Dandy Caramel Candies
"They're supposed to be cut into 1" square pieces. They cut 8 across the short side and 12 down the long side."
"I'd like to know how you get 96 servings out of a 9x13 pan?"
"I am in the midst of making Dandy Caramel Candies right now. I've just pured the caramels into a prepared pan.It smells heavenly and tastes the same - I snuck a lick off the spoon.By looking at the baking dish of caramels, I am wondering if they are actually going to thicken into a chewy confection. They look pretty soupy so far....I will report again after the cooling period has gone by."