Dandy Caramel Candies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
Makesabout 9 dozen
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3-3/4 cups chopped pecans (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dark or milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- Butter a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, corn syrup, butter and cream.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and vanilla. Quickly spread into prepared pan. Cool.
- Cut into 1-in. squares. Place squares on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; chill thoroughly. Dip each candy into melted candy coating. Refrigerate until firm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 93 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 6, 2011
They're supposed to be cut into 1" square pieces. They cut 8 across the short side and 12 down the long side.
Dec 6, 2011
I'd like to know how you get 96 servings out of a 9x13 pan?
Oct 24, 2008
I am in the midst of making Dandy Caramel Candies right now. I've just pured the caramels into a prepared pan.It smells heavenly and tastes the same - I snuck a lick off the spoon.By looking at the baking dish of caramels, I am wondering if they are actually going to thicken into a chewy confection. They look pretty soupy so far....I will report again after the cooling period has gone by.