Use a gingerbread boy cookie cutter to make these Halloween mummy cookies. —Dore' Merrick Grabski, Utica, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Candy buttons and black decorating gel
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. dancing gingerbread boy-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on wire racks.
- For mummy bandages, pipe frosting using basket weave pastry tip #47. Add candy buttons and decorating gel for eyes.
Originally published as Gingerbread Boys in Ultimate Halloween 2012 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.