Daisy's Fruitcake Recipe
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 2 large)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 pound candied red cherries, halved
- 1/2 pound candied green cherries, halved
- 1/2 pound diced candied pineapple
- 1. Line three 8x4-in. loaf pans with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar and apple juice; let stand for 15 minutes. In a bowl, combine the eggs, oil and vanilla. Add to apple mixture; mix well. Combine the flour, apple pie spice, baking soda and salt; add to apple mixture and mix well. Fold in pecans, cherries and pineapple. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Remove waxed paper. Cool completely. Yield: 3 loaves.
Editor's Note: Fruitcakes may be baked in eight 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans; bake for 40-45 minutes.
1 slice: 174 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Daisy's Fruitcake
"This is the best fruit cake recipe that I have found in years! I made fruit cakes for a friend of mine and he said this was the best fruitcake he has ever tasted! I will use this recipe for my fruitcakes from now on!"
"I've been making this since it first appeared in the magazine. My fruitcake-loving friends look forward to it every year and so do I! It's absolutely delicious!!"
"All my family & friends love this cake. I've made it since in came out in the magazine. We like it so much, I make it all year round."
"Very good, different !!!"