Dad’s Ultimate Breakfast Burritos
A dad-pleasing day is guaranteed when these breakfast burritos are on the menu. He’ll love the peppery eggs mixed with potatoes, onions, corn, beans and seasonings in an overstuffed tortilla and smothered in cheese.—Stacey Nerness, Spencer, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 10 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 large eggs, beaten
- 10 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 4 cups shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- Place the potatoes, bay leaves and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and discard bay leaves.
- In a large skillet, cook the green and red peppers, onion and potatoes in 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add the beans, corn, jalapeno, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and remaining salt; heat through.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add eggs. Cook and stir until almost set. Add to potato mixture.
- Spoon 1 cup filling off center on each tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Place on a greased baking sheet; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 burrito: 798 calories, 35g fat (16g saturated fat), 314mg cholesterol, 1384mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 14g fiber), 34g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Dads Ultimate Breakfast Burritos in Country Woman June/July 2012