Dad’s Onion Rings
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 medium onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Cold water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- Separate onion slices into rings; soak in water 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour, egg, milk, sugar, salt and oil until smooth. Drain onions and pat dry. With a fork, dip rings into batter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry, a few rings at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 5, 2017
The perfect side to just about anything. Instead of soaking the onion rings in water I used the milk that is listed in the recipe . Then used the milk to make up the batter. Which is very nice to work with. Next time I'll skip the sugar as a way of cutting back and it did make the rings slightly sweeter in taste. Easy to enjoy and easy to make. I just placed the soaked rings into a clean tea towel and shook it a few times before dipping into the batter. JanieTaste of Home Volunteer Field Editor
Jun 22, 2015
I have everything to make these , going to give them a go for dinner tonight!
Jul 10, 2013
A little time consuming, but very good