- 4 medium onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Cold water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- Separate onion slices into rings; soak in water 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour, egg, milk, sugar, salt and oil until smooth. Drain onions and pat dry. With a fork, dip rings into batter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry, a few rings at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forDad's Onion Rings
"The perfect side to just about anything. Instead of soaking the onion rings in water I used the milk that is listed in the recipe . Then used the milk to make up the batter. Which is very nice to work with. Next time I'll skip the sugar as a way of cutting back and it did make the rings slightly sweeter in taste. easy to enjoy and easy to make. I just placed the soaked rings into a clean tea towel and shook it a few times before dipping into the batter. JanieTaste of Home Volunteer Field Editor"
"I have everything to make these , going to give them a go for dinner tonight!"
"A little time consuming, but very good"