Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (32 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup rye or whole wheat flour
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of water. Add sugar, oil, salt, rye or whole wheat flour, 3 cups all-purpose flour and remaining water; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. On a greased baking sheet, flatten each half to 1-in. thickness. Pierce each loaf several times with a fork. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 116 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 15, 2008
I have been making this bread since it was first published in TOH and it comes out perfect every time. I use all bread flour with no problems. Also makes great dinner rolls.