Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1 tube red decorating frosting or gel
- Prepare cake batter for cupcakes according to package directions. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes with vanilla frosting. Use red frosting or gel to pipe stitch marks to resemble baseballs.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 220 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
May 17, 2010
I absolutely love this site and the taste of home cookbooks. I also grew up cooking and baking from scratch, but sometimes a recipe like curveball cupcakes just brightens everyone's day. I have been making these cupcakes since my son was in little league and he is now in teeners league and I still make them. The boys just love them!!!
May 5, 2010
I made these for my son's birthday party for school. I found baseball cupcake holders at A.C Moore, anyone who knows my son, knows this was a HIT.
Apr 30, 2010
These turned out so cute for my daughter's t-ball game! I used funfetti cake mix and bought red Cake Mate writing icing to make the "laces" easy to create. What a cute idea! marcie722 you are a little ridiculous in your reveiw...sometimes a cute idea is a simple one. Taste of Home is the best recipe collection I've found. I didn't really know how to cook until I found them and now my husband raves over my cooking!
Apr 21, 2010
I would make these again, but not from a cake mix. I much prefer home made muffins to cake mix muffins, as they turn out way nicer and way softer. I'd definitely decorate them this way though, as they'd disappear so fast.
Apr 5, 2010
The cupcakes are cute, but anyone can decorate a cupcake. When I saw the name of this site I thought it would be much better than the others I've seen. It seems all the recipes on the web are mixes and convienence foods. These weren't used in MY home, my Mom was a professional chef and I learned to cook and bake the old fashioned way!
Aug 10, 2009
Such a simple and cute idea - for the kids and grownups alike!