Curry Potato Gratin
Wanted to make the perfect Potato Gratin better. I think the touch of curry really does it. —Teddy Devico, Warren, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- In a food processor fitted with the slicing blade, slice potatoes; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the cream, bay leaves, curry powder, salt, pepper, nutmeg and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Discard bay leaves; stir in 3/4 cup cheese and thyme.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and potatoes are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Originally published as Curry Infused Potato Gratin in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013