Curry Chicken Soup for Two
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 1/2 teaspoon oil for 4-5 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, celery and green pepper in remaining oil for 4 minutes. Add apple; cook 2 minutes longer. Combine flour and salt. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the curry, ginger and pepper flakes. Return chicken to saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 177 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 728mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 12, 2019
What a great recipe! This soup was easy to make and we both enjoyed it. I will definitely be making it again!
Aug 3, 2014
Extremely flavorful! Absolutely wonderful! It isn't really that soupy which was fine for me as I paired it with some box coconut rice. In addition I had some garlic naan as an extra. O.m.g. It was delicious! I did 1 and 1/2 curry powder and a bit more pepper flakes b/c I like it hot. Was a wonderful Indian dish! Will certainly make again. :)
Nov 5, 2010
This dish is fabulous! There is so much flavor, and it is perfect on a cold day. Very easy to make and great left over. This is a keeper.