"This recipe comes from an old Yorkshire cookbook I picked up in England, where leeks are very popular. The curry powder lends jut the right amount of zip," writes Valerie Engel of San Jose, California. "I like to serve the soup with French bread, followed by scones with lemon curd for dessert.
Recommended: 40 Recipes for Vegetable Soup
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks and carrots in butter until leeks are tender. Add potato and curry powder; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender. Cool slightly.
- Process in batches in a food processor or blender until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Curry Carrot-Leek Soup in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p8