Curried Sweet Potato Soup
This lovely, cream soup makes a fabulous first course at special sit-down dinners. I often double the recipe because family and friends can't stop eating it!—Paula Marchesi, Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional garnishes: minced fresh cilantro, toasted shredded coconut and toasted chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the curry, gingerroot and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in the coconut milk, cream and cilantro; heat through. Garnish with cilantro, coconut and pecans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 225 calories, 16g fat (13g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Curried-Sweet Potato Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 21, 2012
Wonderful blend of flavors. A soup that you back for seconds and thirds...
Feb 19, 2012
Soup was really delicious....my only downside is that it is not super healthy!