Curried Sweet Potato Latkes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups grated peeled sweet potatoes
- Oil for frying
- In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Stir in eggs and milk until blended. Add sweet potatoes; toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry for 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 241 calories, 20g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 22, 2016
I made this sweet potato latkes as written. My husband and I loved them. The curry was not too strong. I served them with cool sour cream. This recipe is a keeper....because my husband is not a big fan of sweet potato, but he loved these latkas!
Dec 7, 2015
Delicious! I made a half recipe and went very light with the spices because I didn't want an overwhelming curry flavor. I also sauteed some onion and added that (as was called for in regular latkes that I just made), and that added a nice flavor as well. Great recipe...thanks!
May 13, 2015
Surprisingly flavorful and quite yummy! Didn't have the curry so I left it out and used GF flour blend and 1/4 c. Buckwheat flour and served with the Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon and steamed asparagus. These fritters disappeared fast!
Dec 5, 2010
Very Yummy- but FYI, The baking powder would be omitted per Jewish tradition since it is a leavening. :)
Mar 6, 2010
Very good and flavorful but not overpowering. Quick to fry up and disappeared just as fast.
Dec 13, 2009