Curried Sweet Potato Chowder
The flavor of curry is subtle in this creamy, comforting chowder. For fun, I sometimes sprinkle individual servings with pumpkin or sunflower kernels.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Place 2 in. of water in a large saucepan; add sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. In another large saucepan, combine the flour, curry powder, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in the milk until smooth. Add the sweet potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in peas and cream; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 272 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Curried Sweet Potato Chowder in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.