Curried Rice with Almonds
In this rice dish, green onions and sweet red pepper give holiday color, raisins bring a touch of sweetness and almonds add crunch. I think you’ll agree that the mild curry flavor pleases all palates. —Janice Christofferson, Eagle River, WI
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained and cut into thirds
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and red pepper in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute rice and ginger in remaining butter until golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Stir in the water, raisins, lime juice, soy sauce, bouillon, curry and lime zest. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, 16-20 minutes. Stir in pineapple and the red pepper mixture. Garnish with almonds.