Curried Rice Salad
This is a refreshing alternative to potato salad. I rely on dishes like this often for open houses or entertaining friends.—Pat Medley, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup frozen peas, partially cooked
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup prepared chutney
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- In a saucepan, combine water, rice, butter and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Cool. Add peas, celery and onions. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, chutney and curry powder; add to rice mixture and stir well. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 129 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Curried Rice Salad in Taste of Home December/January 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.