Curried Rice Ham Rolls
My mother gave me this recipe, which had been handed down to her. She prepared these hearty, flavorful ham rolls often for her church luncheons, and they were a huge success every time. I find that even people who have never tried curry rave about the flavor. -Pamela Witte, Hastings, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups cooked brown or long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 12 slices deli ham (1/8 inch thick)
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- CURRY SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender, about 3 minutes. In a large bowl, combine rice, parsley, salt, curry powder and onion.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup down the center of each ham slice; roll up. Secure with toothpicks if desired. Place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Arrange hard-boiled eggs on top.
- For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir cornstarch, curry powder and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour over the ham rolls. Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 405 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 202mg cholesterol, 1092mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Curried Rice Ham Rolls in Taste of Home February/March 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.