Curried Potato Pastries
This is a quick and tasty recipe that makes use of leftover mashed potatoes. —Rashmi Kapoor, Nipomo, California
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (17.30 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- HERB OIL:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion, garlic, ginger, cumin and jalapeno until onion is tender. Stir in seasonings until blended. Add mashed potatoes, peas and lemon juice; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Stir in cheese, cashews and cilantro.
- 2. Unfold puff pastry. Cut each sheet into six rectangles; moisten edges lightly with water. Spoon about 2 tablespoons potato mixture down the center of each rectangle. Fold a long side over filling, fold short sides toward the center, then roll up. Press seams to seal. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet, seam side down.
- 3. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Place remaining ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended. Serve with pastries.
1 pastry with 2 teaspoons herb oil: 345 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC